In times of hardship for your friend, partner, family member, or colleague, a thoughtful and meaningful gesture can make all the difference. If you want to show you mean well go for a meaningful gift for someone going through a hard time as it can provide comfort and support when they need it most.
Choosing the right gift requires consideration and empathy, as it should reflect their individual needs and preferences. In this post, we’ll explore a variety of heartfelt gift ideas tailored to bring solace and encouragement to someone navigating difficult circumstances.
This post has affiliate links which means that we make a commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. For more information read our Affiliate disclosure.
Note: Even though I am a licensed clinical social worker (LCSW), I am not your licensed clinical social worker (LCSW). This means engaging with our website is not considered a professional social worker and client relationship. This also means you should not consider this information as professional advice. Although we do put in every reasonable effort to provide the most accurate and reliable information, this does not replace professional advice, and you should not rely only on them. You still might need to consult a professional to introduce your particular situation, issue, problem, or position. Read our full Disclaimer here.
MEANINGFUL GIFTS FOR SOMEONE GOING THROUGH A HARD TIME
I wholeheartedly recommend Mindvalley platform, as their diverse range of content caters to different aspects of personal development, making it a valuable resource for anyone seeking to enhance their well-being, elevate their life to meet their aspirations, or navigate hard times and periods or life areas.
Whether it’s through programs and courses based on meditations carefully designed to speak to the subconscious mind, mindfulness exercises, or other personal growth content, Mindvalley provides a convenient and accessible way for users to embark on a journey of real growth, healing, self-discovery, physical and mental wellness, and transformation.
A personal development platform like that with tailored programs is a thoughtful gift for someone going through a hard time as it offers a structured and accessible path for self-improvement, providing practical tools and guidance to overcome challenges. It also comes aa a great support with its community of people going through the same programs on their individual journeys of self growth.
What your special someone can expect once they decide to engage with this platform is:
- true self-discovery so that they can start identifying their real preferences, aspirations, goals, and dreams
- setting meaningful goals that have the potential to fulfill their need for self-actualization as opposed to only living on someone else’s terms and building someone else’s dream in order to be accepted by the environment and perceived as successful
- liberation from fabricated societal expectation and norms that not only don’t serve them, but are in fact representing oppression which is suffocating their souls that only wants them to live in alignment with whom they truly are and not what society expects them to be
- to finally awaken their authenticity by letting themselves be visible as opposed to being shy or ashamed of who they are deep down and what they want behind the closed doors
- to acquire skills to make life decisions aligned with their core values and true desires coming from the depth of their being
- begin stepping into their potential and move towards reaching full potential unique for them and different from anyone else’s in the world
- become skilled at self-love that holds the key to building the life of their dreams
- finally become comfortable in their own skin, doing their own thing, and going where they truly want to go in life
- build the life they are proud to call their own and experience lasting fulfilment because their consciousness is so expanded that they don’t need to worry about whether things will work out for them ever again, as now they have skills and support to make them work
- healthy and vibrant mind, body, soul, and relationships, considering that the platform delves deep into all these topics and areas of life.
You can learn more about it in my post:
Dr. Janina Fisher, international expert on trauma, who has worked with survivors for over 40 years now created a resource that explains how traumatic experiences have lasting effects that persist for years and traditional methods of re-telling the story to resolve them may actually overwhelm survivors. This way survivors can become victims of re-traumatization and secondary victimization because they keep “reliving” their experience by being asked to talk about it repeatedly.
And her workbook offers step-by-step strategies, diagrams, and worksheets to help survivors understand and work with their symptoms to transform the legacy of trauma, emotionally heal, and find relief and rejuvenation. If your person is having a hard time due to the consequences of past trauma, this may just be the perfect gift that comes in at the perfect time.
#3 MEDITATION TOOLS AND RESOURCES
Meditation helps individuals develop greater awareness of their thoughts, feelings, and bodily sensations. This increased mindfulness allows them to observe their emotions without becoming overwhelmed by them, leading to improved emotional regulation and resilience.
And gifting someone who has a hard time meditation tools offers them tangible aids to incorporate mindfulness into their daily routine. These gifts symbolize a commitment to self-care and encouraging them to take a few moments for themselves each day reinforces the importance of their mental and emotional health.
You can look into:
- Mediation app or platform provides tools for relaxation, mental and spiritual growth, and mental well-being, accessible anytime, anywhere, perfect for someone going through a hard time to have support at all times. I recommend Mindvalley that has a library of countless meditations for all areas of life.
- Meditation Cushions (Zafus) and Mats: Comfort is essential during meditation. Meditation cushions (zafus) and mats provide a comfortable and supportive surface to sit or kneel on during meditation sessions.
- Meditation Benches (Seiza Bench): A meditation bench, or seiza bench, can be used to kneel comfortably during meditation, relieving pressure on the legs and back.
- Meditation Timer or Bell: A meditation timer or bell can be set to ring at specific intervals to signal the start or end of a meditation session or to remind you to shift your focus during longer sessions.
- Meditation Music and Sounds: Soothing music, nature sounds, or white noise can create a calming atmosphere during meditation. Some apps and websites provide ambient sounds for meditation.
- Guided Meditation Recordings: These audio recordings are led by experienced meditation teachers and provide step-by-step guidance for various meditation practices, making them suitable for beginners.
- Mala Beads: Mala beads are used as a tactile and visual aid during meditation. Practitioners can use them to count breaths, mantras, or repetitions of affirmations.
- Aromatherapy Oils and Diffusers: Aromatherapy oils like lavender, frankincense, or sandalwood can be diffused to create a calming and sensory-rich environment for meditation.
- Mindfulness Journals: Mindfulness journals provide prompts for self-reflection and gratitude, helping individuals deepen their mindfulness practice.
- Breathing Exercise Tools: These tools, such as breathing apps or devices, guide users through different breathing exercises, including deep breathing and pranayama techniques.
- Meditation Books: Books on mindfulness and meditation offer valuable insights and instructions for developing a meditation practice and cultivating mindfulness in daily life.
- Binaural Beats: Audio tracks with binaural beats are designed to induce specific brainwave states, aiding in relaxation and deepening meditation experiences.
A gift membership for a subscription service like Audible, an online platform that provides a wide selection of audiobooks, original content, and podcasts. Your gift recipient can listen to audiobooks on any device, including smartphones, tablets, computers, and Amazon Echo devices.
Taking time to listen to audiobooks can be a form of self-care and relaxation. It provides an opportunity to unwind, de-stress, and recharge, fostering a sense of well-being and balance amidst life’s hard times. This is a thoughtful gift that shows how deeply you care for their well-being.
Many books on emotional and other kind of healing share stories of resilience, transformation, and hope, showing that healing and growth are possible even in the face of adversity. These narratives can inspire readers and instill a sense of optimism and possibility. For someone going through a hard time this will be a very thoughtful gift signaling that you’ve put a lot of attention and care into choosing it.
Mindfulness cards typically contain prompts or exercises designed to bring attention to the present moment. By practicing mindfulness, individuals learn to let go of worries about the past and anxieties about the future, which can contribute to emotional healing and a greater sense of peace.
By incorporating mindfulness practices into their daily routine, users can cultivate resilience and find inner strength during a hard time.Ultimately, these cards offer a pathway to healing and renewal, guiding your loved one towards a brighter, more peaceful future.
During hard times, people may neglect their needs negatively impacting their well-being further. Then a self-care box subscription serves as a gentle reminder to prioritize self-care and self-compassion, encouraging them to carve out time for themselves amidst their hardship.
Self-care boxes typically contain items designed to promote relaxation and stress relief, such as candles, bath products, soothing teas, and mindfulness, even therapeutic tools. These items can help the recipient unwind, de-stress, and find moments of calm and tranquility amidst the chaos of their daily lives.
#8 SPONSORED: MENTAL HEALTH (WORK)BOOK
Mental health book or workbook is a resource designed to support self-reflection, growth, healing and well-being.
Hard times are always linked to mental health in some way, either being the mental health that causes hardship or the other way around. This thoughtful gift for someone going through a hard time can help them ease anxiety by redirecting their thoughts with gentle yet engaging activities that occupy the mind and hands in this anxiety activity book.
It’s delivered by a certified art therapist and features uncomplicated drawing, painting, coloring, and writing tasks, ensuring a relaxed state as they immerse themselves in creative pursuits.
A self-love journal is a meaningful gift for someone who is going through a hard time because it encourages them to prioritize self-compassion and cultivate a positive relationship with themselves in times they may even feel disconnected from themselves. This a guided space for reflection, allowing them to acknowledge their strengths, express self-compassion, and set intentions for self-improvement.
This particular journal incorporates insightful writing prompts and easy exercises to guide your person in handling negative self-talk, contemplating their authentic aspirations, and building the confidence to pursue anything they desire.
This is a groundbreaking book that offers a comprehensive understanding of psychological and physiological effects of trauma, or how trauma affects the brain and the body, and how these effects can be treated. It’s written by a psychiatrist and trauma expert with 30 years of experience in working with trauma survivors, Bessel van der Kolk.
It offers practical tools and strategies for healing and recovery, presenting a wealth of research and clinical experience that sheds light on the ways in which trauma can disrupt the body’s natural balance and lead to a variety of physical and psychological symptoms. If trauma is what caused your person to go through a hard time right now, this gift might fit perfectly.
#11 RELAXATION OR SELF-CARE GIFT BASKET
Considering that the contents of the relaxation basket are classic elements of self-care, by getting these items, you’re encouraging them to take a break, engage in self-care, and prioritize their well-being—a gesture that reflects genuine care. Curate a basket with a soft throw blanket (SPONSORED), scented candles, herbal tea, and a cozy reading or listening selection. Here the combination of a soft blanket, scented candles, and herbal tea creates a cozy and relaxing environment. This way you’re gifting them with a comforting and tranquil space to unwind while going through a hard time.
#12 GIFT THEM CLASSES OR PROGRAMS SUITABLE FOR THEIR SITUATION OR PREFERENCES
Classes that can be beneficial for someone going through a hard time vary depending on their interests, preferences, and specific needs. Here are some examples of classes that can provide support and opportunities for personal growth:
- Mindfulness and Meditation: Classes focused on mindfulness and meditation can teach techniques for managing stress, reducing anxiety, and cultivating inner peace and resilience.
- Yoga and Tai Chi: These classes offer gentle physical movement combined with breathwork and mindfulness practices, promoting relaxation, flexibility, and stress relief.
- Art Therapy: Art therapy classes provide a creative outlet for self-expression, allowing individuals to explore their emotions, process difficult experiences, and foster healing through artistic expression.
- Cooking and Nutrition: Cooking classes can teach healthy cooking techniques and provide tips for maintaining a balanced diet, which can have a positive impact on mood and overall well-being.
- Fitness and Exercise: Exercise classes such as yoga, pilates, dance, or group fitness sessions can help boost mood, increase energy levels, and improve physical health.
- Self-compassion and Self-care: Classes focused on self-compassion and self-care techniques can help individuals cultivate a kinder and more nurturing relationship with themselves, fostering resilience and emotional well-being.
- Stress Management and Coping Skills: Classes that focus on stress management techniques, coping skills, and
You may be interested in enrolling them in The Longevity Blueprint program on Mindvalley platform to get their hands on a blueprint to extraordinary longevity and health, based on leading-edge science and time-tested data from the world’s longest-living cultures, giving them the ultimate solution to a long, healthy, fulfilling life.
Or ENROLL IN THE LONGEVITY BLUEPRINT FREE MASTERCLASS to learn more about this program to be certain this will fit them and you.
#13 A SUBSCRIPTION TO A MENTAL HEALTH APP
Mental health apps often provide a wide range of resources, including therapy sessions, guided meditations, mood tracking tools, and educational materials. By gifting a subscription, you’re giving them access to professional support and self-help resources that can assist them in managing their mental well-being.
This is a meaningful and thoughtful gift for someone going through a hard time as it opens the door to life transformation when things may seem even unmanageable to them. Providing access to such resources to your person can both support their mental well-being and empower them to prioritize self-care.
#14 (ONLINE) THERAPY SESSION
Therapy provides access to trained mental health professionals who have the expertise to help individuals navigate their emotional challenges effectively. Therapists offer support, guidance, and evidence-based strategies tailored to the individual’s specific needs and circumstances.
Therapy offers a confidential and non-judgmental space for individuals to explore their thoughts, feelings, and experiences. By expressing themselves openly and honestly, individuals can gain clarity, insight, and relief from emotional distress.
#15 HANDMADE CRAFT OR DIY PROJECT
A handmade craft or DIY project that holds personal meaning and reflects your relationship with them during difficult times, can be incredibly comforting and uplifting. It serves as a tangible reminder that they’re not alone, that someone cares deeply about them, and that there are moments of beauty and kindness to be found even in the midst of hardship.
Whether it’s a photo collage of cherished memories, a knitted scarf in their favorite color, or a custom piece of artwork inspired by shared experiences, the gift becomes a tangible representation of your bond and connection.
Recommended Resources For You:
- Live By Your Own Rules Program: rediscover your true self and design a life of uncompromising authenticity and fulfillment in this soul-affirming journey where you’ll overcome oppressing and fabricated societal standards ruling your life without your conscious permission.
- Conscious Parenting Mastery Program: embrace a new model of parenting that will enable you to raise authentic, confident, and well-adjusted kids after you break free from the parenting norms that don’t serve you or your child.
- Becoming Focused And Indistractible FREE Masterclass: uncover what it takes to regain your focus and productivity in a distraction-filled world and becoming indistractable in this empowering program. And help your kids become it too.
- Energy Medicine FREE Masterclass: by Donna Eden: follow a renowned healer extensively recognized by both scientific and alternative branches of healthcare in a transformational journey towards awakening your body’s natural healing ability and understand how to reconnect with the natural healing systems existing within you and master your body’s energy systems and correct energetic blocks and weaknesses.
- Money EQ by Ken Honda FREE Masterclass: Japan’s No. 1 personal growth teacher, developed a program for healing your money wounds, releasing your fear, stress, and anger around money, and achieving a lifetime of true financial wellbeing.
- The Integral Life FREE Masterclass: by a legendary modern philosopher Ken Wilber, uncover how you can embody his signature integral theory for a life of deeper fulfillment, self-actualization, and impact. The Integral Life offers an ‘operating manual’ for thinking, growing, and being the most whole and fully realized version of yourself.
- Be Extraordinary FREE Masterclass: understand how you can achieve higher states of consciousness, tap into your fullest potential, and bend your life’s reality.
- Uncompromised Life FREE Masterclass: learn about Marisa Peer’s acclaimed Transformational Hypnotherapy process for creating deep and lasting change in your inner programming and your life.
- The Silva Ultramind System FREE Masterclass: get familiarized with Hose Silva’s techniques and tools for harnessing altered states of mind to awaken your mind’s fullest potential and transform your reality.
- Longevity Blueprint FREE Masterclass: learn more about a blueprint to extraordinary longevity and health, based on leading-edge science and time-tested data from the world’s longest-living cultures, giving you the ultimate solution to a long, healthy, fulfilling life.
- 19 Stress Reduction Gifts For Your Loved One’s Calm And Recharge
- Gifts For Someone Who Is Struggling (5 Gift Types To Ease The Burden)
- 26 Gifts For People Hard To Buy For (Solutions for Tricky Recipients)
- 7 Good Books To Read For Mental Strength
- 6 Gifts For Someone Struggling With Mental Health
- 24 Gifts For Strength And Healing (Support Recovery And Resilience)
FINAL THOUGHTS ON MEANINGFUL GIFTS FOR SOMEONE GOING THROUGH A HARD TIME
As we conclude our exploration of meaningful gifts for someone going through a hard time, let’s remember the profound impact that a thoughtful gesture can have on their well-being. Whether it’s a simple handwritten note expressing your love and support or a carefully curated care package filled with comforting essentials, the intention behind the gift is what truly matters.
In times of struggle, small acts of kindness can serve as beacons of hope, reminding them that they are not alone in their journey.
I hope you found the perfect gift by now and I’ll see you in my next post! Here’s one