In the midst of life’s demands and constant hustle we’re pulled into, it’s easy to overlook the most important relationship we have – the one with ourselves. Nurturing self-love is a necessity for overall well-being which is why building some self-love habits or getting into a habit of self-love, even though you haven’t had a chance for it before, is the best choice you can make.
Self-Love Habits: 9 Ordinary Actions For Overflowing Self-Love
So this post is an exploration of essential habits that pave the way for a profound connection with oneself.
Let’s delve into the transformative power of activities and actions that cultivate and reinforce self-love to become a habit.
Note: Even though I am a licensed clinical social worker (LCSW), I am not your licensed clinical social worker (LCSW). This means engaging with our website is not considered a professional social worker and client relationship. This also means you should not consider this information as professional advice. Although we do put in every reasonable effort to provide the most accurate and reliable information, this does not replace professional advice, and you should not rely only on them. You still might need to consult a professional to introduce your particular situation, issue, problem, or position. Read our full Disclaimer here.
1. AlLOW YOURSELF REGULAR SELF-CARE
Taking care of your physical, emotional, and mental well-being is paramount, but many of us have difficulty providing that for ourselves.
This is a habit that we have adopted since we were young, so it’ll take some time to shift things around and learn to truly be there for ourselves by meeting our needs and finding healthy and sustainable ways to feel good and not just experience a plain pleasure on occasion that’s devoid of any purpose or intention.
It’s often used just for getting a little more relaxed, but it doesn’t create a solid foundation and habits that can propel us forward in life or create a rhythm of real self-care and self-love.
So begin allocating time for activities that bring you peace, calmness, joy, fulfilment, and relaxation. Activity itself and its form aren’t important. It’s what’s right for you.
Whether it’s a warm bath, a walk in nature, or simply reading a book, taking a personal development program, or talking to the people you care about, these moments contribute to your overall well-being and stability.
However, you should focus on expanding your consciousness, healing and nurturing the body, feeding the soul, and self-exploration and self-discovery to get to know yourself better, as this journey of knowing oneself will never end.
This is important as you don’t want to make a mistake and focus only on pleasure, especially the one with a short-term effect that doesn’t have the capacity to bring transformation to your life and help you evolve to overcome yourself or your circumstances.
- THE BEST 11 SELF-LOVE JOURNALS FOR BREAKING FREE FROM ALL UNNECESSARY RESTRICTIONS FINALLY
- THE BEST BOOKS FOR SELF-LOVE AND HEALING (18) FOR UNLEASHING SELF-LOVE
- IS SELF-LOVE THE BEST LOVE YOU CAN GIVE YOURSELF? (+46 REASONS WHY)
- SELF-LOVE THINGS TO BUY FOR ADULTS ONLINE (13) TO ELEVATE LOVE FOR YOURSELF
- SELF-LOVE MEANING: MISCONCEPTIONS SHATTERED
- 100 THINGS TO LOVE ABOUT YOURSELF ALWAYS
- WHY SHOULD YOU START LOVING YOURSELF? (5 MAJOR MOTIVES)
- 7 IDEAS FOR SELF-LOVE GROWTH THAT IS EXPONENTIAL
- HOW TO KNOW WHEN YOU’VE STARTED LOVING YOURSELF (5 SIGNS TO LOOK FOR)
- WHY IS SELF-LOVE IMPORTANT IN A RELATIONSHIP? (7 OBVIOUS REASONS)
2. FOCUS ON SETTING BOUNDARIES FOR YOURSELF
Learn to say ‘no’ when necessary and establish boundaries that protect your time and energy. This isn’t about other people; it’s about you.
You have to get real with yourself first, and then think about others and your interactions or relationships with them.
I’m talking about knowing when to do or not do certain things, managing your time versus spreading yourself too thin, learning what works for you and what doesn’t, having balanced discipline, staying consistent and in alignment with your values, intentions, and decisions, and so on.
Once you focus on this, it’ll be easier for you to communicate your needs and wants to others, as well as to remain consistent.
Also recognize that it’s okay to prioritize your needs, meaning that being there for others should come at the cost of overextending yourself, exhaustion, or ignoring your own life.
Remember that setting healthy boundaries is a powerful act of self-respect while at the same time being fair to others, as they have the right to know where they stand with you.
3 Biggest Mistakes With Self-acceptance
3. INCORPORATE MINDFUL REFLECTION IN YOUR LIFE
Spend time reflecting on your thoughts and emotions and being more aware of your internal dialogue. This allows you to identify the patterns that don’t serve you and replace them with those that do.
Staring at the internal dialogue or how you talk to yourself is crucial because if it’s focused on shaming yourself, being too hard on yourself, or punishing yourself, then you’ll be setting yourself up for failure as you won’t be able to do things in life that bring you what you really need and want.
This is because you won’t be able to allow yourself to try different things, make mistakes, fail, and be anything less than “perfect.”
It’s important to make paying attention to your thoughts and self-talk a habit, considering that creating more awareness around this will help you not only care for yourself better but also meet your goals.
That’s because you’ll adjust the criteria for success and balance out the urge for winning/succeeding or doing things “right” by allowing yourself to learn and adapt along the way while going for what you want.
You’ll probably find useful:
- WORDS MATTER: 69 THINGS TO SAY TO YOURSELF FOR SELF-LOVE AND ACCEPTANCE
- 64 POSITIVE AFFIRMATIONS FOR SELF-LOVE AND SELF-COMPASSION
- 68 SHORT AFFIRMATIONS FOR SELF-LOVE TO SUPERCHARGE YOUR SELF-LOVE JOURNEY
- 52 INSPIRING SELF-LOVE AND SELF-CARE QUOTES TO TRANSFORM YOUR MINDSET
- 47 SELF-LOVE AND EMPOWERMENT QUOTES FOR DISCOVERING THE POWER OF SELF-LOVE
4. BE IN YOUR BODY AND NOURISH IT
When there’s a challenge with self-love, you may be “living” outside of your body due to being too intuned with others (meeting their needs and expectations), or you may be devoid of contact with your emotions that live in the body (by not even knowing they exist or not distinguishing them by type or quality).
And here, meditation or mindfulness exercises can come in quite handy to center and ground you.
By focusing on yourself, you can have better interactions and create better relationships with others, considering that you know more about where you end and others start, and vice versa.
At the same time, you need to pay attention to what you consume (not just food but also information, content, treatment, and care), ensuring it contributes to your overall health and not the opposite.
This should be consciously chosen, not just going with the flow of what you’ve adopted so far if it doesn’t serve your best interest, as it’s even poisonous for your body.
A well-nourished body positively impacts your mood, energy levels, and self-esteem.
So engage in activities that promote a healthy body and a strong mind-body connection. Whether it’s yoga, meditation, or regular exercise, these practices enhance your physical and mental well-being.
The connection between your body and mind is integral to self-love, especially because once you get your body to “obey” your mind, you’ll get a chance to make the best decision for yourself.
6. TAKE A MOMENT TO APPRECIATE YOURSELF AND TO ASK WHAT YOU TRULY DESIRE
Acknowledge and celebrate your unique traits and characteristics (including imperfections and flaws) as well as your accomplishments so far, both big and small, because by recognizing your successes, you reinforce a more positive self-image (or a more realistic one) and build self-esteem and confidence.
Don’t just wait for others, but be your own cheerleader, cheering on your journey of growth and self-discovery.
This is crucial, as we all need to move past rigid social expectations, norms, and conventions if we want to live authentically. We cannot expect anyone to understand and support us.
That is not their business, nor is it yours, as getting approval from a whole bunch of people isn’t what you need; it’s just a mere perception.
Now, this doesn’t mean going towards separating yourself from your important social circles, unless they’re jeopardizing your well-being and sabotaging your progress.
However, it may require you to take a leap of faith and go for what you really want, even if not a single person supports this, because sometimes (or oftentimes) no one but you can know what’s best for you.
7. SURROUND YOURSELF WITH POSITIVE INFLUENCES AND EXAMPLES
Evaluate the relationships in your life and prioritize those that uplift and support you.
This doesn’t mean getting rid of people who have challenges in their lives.
It’s about assessing what it is that each relationship brings into your life, how it changes you, where it can go, and so on.
Distance yourself from “bad” influences and surround yourself with people who encourage your personal development and know the value of collaboration versus those who just declare this, but in reality all they want is to compete and grab for themselves.
A positive social circle contributes significantly to your overall well-being, as you’ll be more likely to:
- match their aspirations,
- set bigger goals,
- expand beyond the known, and feel the support you need to overcome temporary challenges standing in the way of what you really want in life.
3 Biggest Mistakes With Self-acceptance
8. DECIDE ON CONTINUOUS LEARNING
Embrace a mindset of continuous learning and growth, considering that your personal expansion and transformation will never stop.
This doesn’t mean you should never be satisfied with yourself and your accomplishments, or that you shouldn’t reap rewards and enjoy everything you’ve achieved.
It doesn’t matter if it’s learning more about who you truly are, acquiring new skills, exploring new hobbies, or expanding your knowledge; the pursuit of personal development shouldn’t stop and will reinforce a sense of accomplishment and self-worth.
This way, you create a habit that strengthens self-love through self-exploration, self-acceptance, and self-reliance.
Also, self-love is rooted in authenticity, which means that the more you get to know yourself and upgrade accordingly by discovering what makes you tick, the more you’ll accept and love yourself for who you are. And this is done by opting in for continuous learning.
9. PRACTICE TRUE SELF-COMPASSION AT ALL TIMES
Self-compassion isn’t about excuses and avoidance; it’s about understanding and holding space for yourself.
And also about pushing yourself to be better, not accepting just what you’re being offered but asking for more of what’s really good for you, and not settling for less than you know you deserve.
It’s of utmost importance to be kind to yourself, especially in moments of difficulty or “failure,” as you won’t be able to move past these challenges and create something better for yourself in the future if you were to keep yourself in the loop of harsh self-criticism, self-talk, and judgement.
It’s okay to treat yourself with the same compassion and understanding that you would offer to others facing challenges.
This is because self-compassion is in a way a cornerstone of self-love, considering that only when you can be there for yourself when times are tough and things don’t go as planned can you truly accept and love yourself.
WANT TO TAKE IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL AND BUILD A HABIT OF LOVING YOURSELF OVER THE COURSE OF 30 DAYS?
If you, or someone you care about is eager to find a way to positively contribute to the level of self-acceptance and obtain more self-love, consider a program dedicated specifically for this called LIVE BY YOUR OWN RULES by Kristina Mänd-Lakhiani, a serial entrepreneur, speaker, and co-founder of Mindvalley, hosted on Mindvalley platform.
Live By Your Own Rules is a self-exploration that leads to self-discovery, self-liberation, and embracing authenticity.
It’ll take only 15 minutes of your day over 31 days, where Kristina will guide you through her unique process to shed the light on masks of society, identify your personal truths, and nurture your relationship with themselves.
You’ll understand how you’ve been restrained by societal standards and expectations about who you need to be to be accepted and valued. And this is why self-love has been so far away from you, distant, elusive, or even felt unreachable, but it doesn’t have to be anymore.
Instead of being captivated by fabricated societal norms, you’ll learn ways to innovate on how you work, love, play, and even fulfill your purpose, define happiness, pleasure, and success according to your own rules and criteria not someone else’s you don’t even know or care about.
And as your journey brings deeper connection with yourself, you’ll begin to accept all parts of yourself, as you live, and express yourself truthfully.
By the end of the Quest, your relationship with yourself can become so solid that standards of society will never have the jeopardize your authenticity again.
But keep in mind that the price of the program (and most single programs) covers most of the yearly membership pricing. You get the greatest value for money when you choose to pay the yearly option.
But if you’re getting it as a gift or you’re not ready for a yearly commitment just yet, you can choose a monthly option, and then continue using it if you happen to like it. And I can almost guarantee that you will.
Now, I’ll tell you more about the membership.
PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT PLATFORM – MINDVALLEY MEMBERSHIP
Inside this powerful and unique membership, you’ll be able to choose from 100+ programs designed for elevating different areas of life, such as relationships, wellness, resilience, career, business, mindfulness, etc. You can go self paced or join a class, if you need more accountability.
That’s a full personal development journey and transformation.
What you can expect once you begin engaging with this platform is:
- true self-discovery so that you can start identifying your real preferences, aspirations, goals, and dreams
- setting meaningful goals that have the potential to fulfill your need for self-actualization as opposed to only living on someone else’s terms and building someone else’s dream in order to be accepted by the environment and perceived as successful
- liberation from fabricated societal expectation and norms that not only don’t serve you, but are in fact representing oppression which is suffocating your soul that only wants you to live in alignment with whom you truly are and not what society expects you to be
- to finally awaken your authenticity by letting yourself be visible as opposed to being shy or ashamed of who you are deep down or what you want behind the closed doors
- to acquire skills to make life decisions aligned with your core values and true desires coming from the depth of your being
- begin stepping into your potential and move towards reaching full potential unique for you and different from anyone else’s in the world
- become skilled at self-love that holds the key to building the life of your dreams
- finally become comfortable in your own skin, doing your own thing, and going where you truly want to go in life
- build the life you are proud to call your own and experience lasting fulfilment because your consciousness is so expanded that you don’t need to worry about whether things will work out for you ever again, as now you have skills and support to make them work
- healthy and vibrant mind, body, soul, and relationships, considering that the platform delves deep into all these topics and areas of life.
If you’re not sure where to start, as soon as you join, you can take an assessment, and afterward, you’ll receive recommendations for where to begin.
Even if you haven’t been focused on your growth untill now, this shouldn’t stop you from taking action now.
Moreover, now is the best time, you’ve got what it takes to design a life tailored to your preferences, and it’s worth your while to focus on yourself and invest in yourself.
The Quest are delivered by world best known experts, coaches, and trainers that are now collaborating with Mindvalley to bring you the transformation you need in the personal development category of your choice.
If Mindvalley chose them, you can be sure they’re the best.
There are 6 categories on the Mindvalley platform:
- Career Growth
And inside the membership, you’ll find:
- Full access to Mindvalley’s entire curriculum of best-in-class programs for transforming every dimension of your life. (100+)
2. Weekly Mindvalley Live sessions featuring today’s biggest trainers, bestselling authors, and celebrities.
3. Full access to Mindvalley Meditations, featuring a vast selection of guided and ambient meditation audios for deep inner transformation.
4. Access to Mindvalley’s private social network, where you can connect, share wisdom, and grow with fellow members in your city and around the world.
And if you happen to like it and you’re considering subscribing, but you want to know more about how it works and what to expect, read:
- the review of the Live By Your Own Rules program I wrote: 30 Days Of Self-Love – A Review Of Live By Your Own Rules Mindvalley Program. (It’ll tell you how it would be like to follow this program.
- my post that mentions more than 30 programs you can expect to find on the platform if you decide to get inside the membership: 30+ Transformational Online Personal Development Programs For Creating The Life You Desire.
This will be the gift of your life because you’ll open the door for amazing transformation and upgrading your life to fit your preference and not someone else’s, but now with numerous personal growth tools you can take with you even if you leave the membership, and use for the rest of your time to help you thrive.
This membership brings a community of like-minded people to you, helps you feel connected and will help you heal, besides giving you the chance to level up your life experience.
Additionally, Mindvalley has developed an app that makes it super easy and super convenient to use daily.
I advise you to start your day with Mindvalley meditations or with a lesson of the program of your choice.
Right now you can enjoy Mindvalley at a special price.
- 5 Characteristics Of An Independent Child (Signs Of Self-Reliancy)
- How To Promote Independence In A Child (In Early Childhood)
- 19 Stress Reduction Gifts For Your Loved One’s Calm And Recharge
- Gifts For Someone Who Is Struggling (5 Gift Types To Ease The Burden)
- 26 Gifts For People Hard To Buy For (Solutions for Tricky Recipients)
- 7 Good Books To Read For Mental Strength
FINAL THOUGHTS ON SELF-LOVE HABITS
Incorporating these self-love habits into your life is a transformative journey towards a more fulfilling and positive existence.
Additionally, by building the habit of loving yourself you’re not just nurturing yourself but creating a ripple effect that touches every aspect of your life.
Finally, self-love is not about perfection; it’s about acceptance, growth, and embracing your uniqueness, which means that you should clebrate the progress you make, acknowledge the strength within you, and be gentle with yourself on this transformative path.
I’ll see you in my next post! Here’s one: